Yummy soup recipes are a necessity for fall. This plant-based Mushroom, Leek and Sweet Potato Soup is one of my favorites. It’s slightly sweet, salty and tangy – the perfect combination to make your tastebuds beg for more. Pair it with a loaf of crusty sourdough and you’ll be going back for thirds.
Mushroom, Leek and Sweet Potato Soup
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 4 small-medium leeks chopped
- 1 medium sweet onion chopped
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 small sweet potato chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves fermented black garlic smashed
- 1 dried chipotle pepper
- 4 cups filtered water plus more for soaking cashews
- 12 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms roughly chopped (about 20 mushrooms)
- 5 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
Put cashews in a small bowl and cover with water. Set aside.
Add leeks, onion, a pinch of salt and 2 Tablespoons coconut oil to a large stockpot and sauté over medium-high heat until leeks become fragrant and onions are translucent. (About 5 minutes.)
Add the sweet potato, bay leaf, black garlic, dried chipotle pepper and water. Bring to a boil and immediately lower to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes.
While soup is simmering, add shiitakes, garlic, a pinch of salt and 2 tablespoons coconut oil to a pan and sauté until shiitakes are browned and significantly-reduced in size.
In a blender, blend the cashew/water mixture until smooth.
When soup is done simmering, remove from heat. Remove the bay leaf and chipotle pepper. Add mushroom-garlic mix, cashew-water blend, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar to the pot and use a hand mixer to blend until smooth.